- 1/2 cup (120 ml) brewed espresso or strong coffee, cold at room temperature
- 4 tbsp of amaretto liqueur, or dark rum
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 8 ounces (225 grams) mascarpone cheese (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) heavy cream
- 18 to 20 Savoiardi Italian ladyfingers (from 7- ounce package)
- 1 ounce (30 grams) cocoa powder for dusting
Combine espresso, 2 tablespoons of the amaretto liqueur, and a tablespoon of the sugar in a wide bowl.
Whisk egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of amaretto liqueur, and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water until tripled in volume, 5 to 8 minutes.
Remove the bowl from heat then beat in mascarpone cheese until just combined for smooth tiramisu.
Whip cream in a bowl until it holds stiff peaks. Once the yolk – mascarpone mixture has cooled a little, gently fold in half of the whipped cream into the yolk-mascarpone mixture, then the remaining half just until fully incorporated.
Dip half of the ladyfingers very quickly into the espresso mixture, and line the bottom of a 9-inch square dish.
Spoon half of the mascarpone filling over the lady fingers and spread into an even layer. Then dip the remaining ladyfingers very quickly into the espresso and arrange a second layer over the filling.
Spoon remaining mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers. Dust with dark cocoa powder and refrigerate tiramisu at least 4 hours.